The year was 1910 when W.F. and Minnie Gottenstroeter founded their Hardware, Furniture and Undertaking Company on North First Street in Owensville. They operated this business until 1934 when Milford Winter, who married their daughter Velma, received his embalmer's license.
Funeral business was conducted on First Street until 1938 when a more modern facility was built on South Second Street. Mr. Gottenstroeter and Mr. Winter worked together until Mr. Gottenstroeter's passing in 1951.
Mr. & Mrs. Winter operated the business together and were joined in 1960 by Mr. Winter's nephew, Jerry Thompson.
By the early 1960's the business had grown and the need for a larger chapel with more seating was evident. So in 1963 a larger chapel and residence were added to the south side of the funeral home. This modern structure was the largest of its kind in the area and is still the location of the Gottenstroeter Funeral Home today.
Mr. & Mrs. Winter retired in 1983, selling the business to Jerry. Jerry's son Rick Copeland completed mortuary school in 1984 and worked with Jerry until Jerry's retirement in 2005. The funeral home is still operated by Rick Copeland and his family today.
Our family, serving your family, for nearly 100 years.