The goal of grieving is adjustment…Take time to grieve. Remember, there is no such thing as a normal way, or time period in which to grieve.
Grieving helps us move on with life…It helps us adjust to what is, as opposed to the way it used to be. It helps us to begin “letting go”. Grieving provides us time to incorporate the meaning of loss in our life.
In the days that follow…
At Gottenstroeter Funeral Home, Inc. our first concern is the comfort and convenience of every family. In the days that follow the funeral, we are here to help you in every way. We hope the following will be of help and comfort to you.
Basic needs of those who grieve…
- A balance between companionship and privacy is needed. The grieving need time to reflect on their feelings, and time to share their feelings.
- A comfortable environment is needed where those who are grieving can open up and express their feelings without embarrassment.
- As a result of intense grieving, temporary changes may occur: Loss of sleep, appetite, strength and motivation and inconsistencies in behavior.
- Those who are grieving need to be able to focus on the loss without being made to feel they are doing something wrong.
- Those who grieve may need someone to help them think clearly to settle important business affairs and legal matters.
- Above all…the grieving need the opportunity to re-tell their experience of loss. A good listener can speed the healing process.
Be patient and nonjudgmental. Help them discover their own conclusions to issues they need to resolve.
Listed below are several books which have helped others who are grieving and may also be helpful to you.
- After-Loss by: Barbara LesStrang
- Does Anyone Hurt This Bad? by: Carlene Vester Eneroth
- When Parents Die – A guide for adults by: Edward Myers
- Understanding Your Grief by: Alan D. Wolfelt, Ph.D.
The above website link may also be helpful to you. It will take you to the Center for Loss & Life Transition, which is an organization dedicated to helping people who are grieving. The director, Dr. Alan Wolfelt, is a respected grief counselor, educator and author, and has written many books to assist those who are grieving.