Gottenstroetter Funeral Home

Our History

The year was 1910 when W.F. and Minnie Gottenstroeter founded their hardware, furniture and undertaking company on North First Street in Owensville, Missouri. They operated this business until 1934 when Milford Winter, who married their daughter, Velma received his embalmer’s license.

Funeral business was conducted on First Street until 1938 when a more modern facility was built on South Second Street. Mr. Gottenstroeter and Mr. Winter worked together until the passing of Mr. Gottenstroeter in 1951.Milford and Velma Winter operated the business together and were joined in 1960 by Mr. Winter’s nephew, Jerry Thompson.

By the early 1060’s, the business had grown and the need for a larger chapel with more seating was evident. In 1963, a larger chapel and residence were added to the south side of the funeral home. This modern structure was the largest of its kind in the area, and today, is still the location of Gottenstroeter Funeral Home, Inc.

Mr. and Mrs. Winter retired in 1983, selling the business to Jerry Thompson. Jerry’s son, Rick Copeland, completed mortuary school in 1984 and worked with Jerry until his retirement in 2005. The funeral home is still operated by Rick Copeland and his family today. In 2011, the Gottenstroeter Funeral Home, Inc. in Owensville, Missouri, purchased both the Oltmann and Meyer-Hilke-Millard funeral homes in Gerald, Missouri. The Oltmann facility was closed and all business operations are now conducted from the Meyer-Hilke-Millard location at 21 East Fifth Street.

Owner, Rick Copeland and his staff are committed to serving families in Owensville and Gerald and the surrounding areas, as they continue to provide dignified and professional services.